Wednesday, September 14, 2016

A little bit happier

I took Lady to the vet today with some trepidation. She's had a hacking cough the last few days, and it got worse yesterday. In the evening, my wife Holly got us a veterinary appointment for later today, but her cough was worse this morning. So I called the vet and asked to come in early. They said OK.

You always worry about trips to the vet. A former vet said that Lady sounded like she had congestive heart failure, and that's been in the back of my mind since then.

At the vet's office, they asked if Lady still drinks and eats normally (she does) and if she's interested in life (she is). I told them she still loves to take walks and car rides; the problem is the hacking cough.

I was amazingly relieved after the vet checked her heart (slow but strong) and her lungs (clear). He said she has an infection and needs antibiotics and cough medicine.

Now, about nine hours later, she does her hacking cough now and then, but the frequency has dropped markedly. She's taking a peaceful nap (with a little snoring mixed in there), and I'm happy she's OK.

For now.

NOTE: Lady passed on Sept. 17, 2016, just three days after the above post was written; that was just two weeks short of her unofficial 16th birthday. We got her Oct. 1, 2002.


CONTACT: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.
Blog entries by Tom Gillispie
• Advice for be and would-be novelists

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie


EDITOR@WORK blog entries

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

Post a Comment