Thursday, February 15, 2018

Crying at Covington Park

DIXIE BEFORE WE ADOPTED HER
Dixie and I went to Covington Park yesterday, and Dixie was frustrated. First, she had to wait in the car while I put cans and bottles in the recycling bin.

She probably cried the whole time she waited.

And when I finally let her out of the back of the car, I went over to the picnic area and sat down; I couldn't stand to walk her. So she kept crying.

She quit crying when a man came by and petted her for a half-minute or so. When he walked away, she started again.

It got even worse when a large group of people -- two or three adults and a bunch of children -- went into the play area. She cried and cried and cried; she wanted to get petted. I petted her, of course, but she wanted the children to come to her.

They didn't, and we went home. Finally, she quieted down on the way home.

UPDATE: We went to Covington Park again today (Feb. 21), and Dixie cried again. She tried mightily to get petted, but most of the women there ignored her. One woman and one boy petted her (she quit crying, and I was happy), and when we left the boy said, "Bye, Dixie."

Dixie couldn't respond, so I said "bye" for her.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK
Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)


More blog entries by Tom Gillispie
• Advice for be and would-be novelists

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment