Saturday, March 10, 2018

Comfortable with me

I DON'T HAVE A SHOT OF JOHN'S
DOG, SO I'LL USE ONE OF LADY
RUNNING WITH AN UNKNOWN BOXER.
I don't know what year it was, but I know it was since 2007 (the year the local dog park opened).

Lady and I went to the park regularly, and a man I knew only as John brought his dogs to the park. On this day, John had an old dog that was named Nacho or Taco or something like that; I don't think I saw this dog more than two or three times.

I had "met" the dog before, but, for some reason, he paid more notice of me on this day. He came over, said hello, got rubbed on the head, then laid down beside my left foot, actually leaning against my shoe. John joked that he knew who the dog wanted to go home with.

I realized the dog was just comfortable with me, and he felt safe. Sadly, I don't think I ever saw that dog again. Some time later, I asked John if the dog was OK, and he said it had passed on.

It's funny what you remember or think about, and I just thought of that old hound (probably part basset or part beagle).

It never occurred to me to take the dog home; but I wish he'd lived longer. It would have been great to see him again.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK
Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)


More blog entries by Tom Gillispie
• Advice for be and would-be novelists

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment