Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Beam me up, Scottie

BUTTERSCOTCH, AKA SCOTTIE

When we got our collie Scottie more than two years ago, they were calling him Butterscotch. That was nice, but my wife Holly didn't care for the name.

So she changed him to Scottie; if you look closely at the word Butterscotch, you can see a bit of Scottie in there.


I always loved Star Trek, and Montgomery Scott (Scotty) was my favorite character. But it never occurred to me to spell my dog's name Scotty. I immediately thought of him as Scottie with an "ie," and so he is.


And he doesn't mind. I doubt that the late James Doohan would have either.


P.S.: We let Scottie go in April. He hadn't gotten up in nearly two weeks, wasn't eating and wasn't getting better. I won't get over it anytime soon.



Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

More entries from The Dog Blog
Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment