Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Dog Diary (last half 2015)

Dec. 25: Lady and I went to the dog park on Christmas. It was drizzling a bit when we got there, and it started raining after we'd been there about 25 minutes.

As we got into the car, the rain stopped, naturally.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYBODY!

Dec. 7: Lady's going to the groomer today.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LORETTA! My cousin was born  exactly one year after the Date Which Will Live in Infamy (Pearl Harbor).

Dec. 6: We went to the dog park Sunday morning. Chase was there, as well as several active dogs I didn't know. There were two pretty (and sweet) white dogs there, including a Great Pyrenees. They both came by to say hi.

Then tonight, after suffering through the Steelers-Colts game on TV, we went for a walk in the neighborhood. It was cold but quiet.

Nov. 30: Rain; sorry. Lady's sleeping at my feet.

Nov. 29: Holly and I took Lady to the dog park today in the early afternoon. We saw a few dogs I recognized, although I can't remember their names.

Then we took Lady to PetSmart to get her some Bright Mind dog food. For some reason, she still likes the birds and avoids the guinea pigs. I guess the birds are more active.

Nov. 26: There were about a dozen people and a similar number of dogs when we got to dog park this morning. We saw some familiar faces, including Jason and Gizmo, plus Chase and his owner.

A black-and-white border collie lay at my foot for a moment, and several people thought it was funny. Then the dog jumped up and ran off.

Tonight, I walked Lady around the neighborhood; it was quiet, and nothing happened. Now, she's at her usual spot, at my left foot, as I type on the computer.

I forgot: HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYBODY!

Nov. 24: A nice young woman helped me pick up after Lady today at the dog park. I usually do it myself, but I do appreciate help.

Nov. 22: We got to the dog park early in the morning, and Lady hung around with Chase, Daisy, Gracie and others. Chase came over to say hi two or three times. Gracie did, too.

Nov. 21: We saw Stahl, Charlie and other dogs today at the dog park. I talked to Bill (Stahl's owner) and Joe (Charlie's) a bit.

The interesting thing is that a young woman was blowing soap bubbles so her German shepherd could snap at them and burst them.

Nov. 20: I had to go to the foot doctor today, so we missed the dog park. But I did walk her around the neighborhood.

Nov. 18: We went to the dog park early in the afternoon and only saw one man and his dog (a beagle mix named Sadie). I don't know the man's name, but I recognize him and his car.

Sadie and Lady ignored each other, but the man petted Lady.

I was amazed how dry the ground was, considering the amount of rain overnight.

Nov. 17: It was fairly late when we got to the dog park. I sat on a bench and talked to a man I knew, but we only stayed about 45 minutes; it got dark.

Nov. 16: I had to take my sweatshirt off at the dog park today. We saw several people and dogs, although the only ones I saw were Bonnie and Chloe. The latter came over to say hi, but the former just walked on by.

Lady woofed at a dog that tried to get her to play. You bother me, kid.

Nov. 15: It was almost bitter cold today at the dog park, but I huddled inside my Buckeyes sweatshirt and stayed relatively warm. There were several people and dogs there, but I didn't know anyone.

Nov. 14: We didn't take Lady to the dog park today; instead, we visited a dog store, K-9 Doggie Bakery and Boutique, in Reynolda Village. Lady didn't mind.

Nov. 13: It was cold today at the dog park, but people still brought their dogs out. I recognized Gizmo, Charlie, Chase and Casper, among others. And I talked to Jason and Joe, owners for Gizmo and Charlie, respectively.

One dog I didn't know tried mightily to get Lady to play, but she would have none of it.

By the way, HAPPY FRIDAY THE 13TH!

Nov. 6: We went by the vet's office today (Lady has fleas), and then we spent more than an hour at the dog park. We ran into Joe and his dog (lab/poodle mix) Charlie, and there was a black-and-white dog named Chewie (after Star Wars' Chewbacca). Strangely, Charlie looks more like Chewbacca.

We also ran into Chase and his owner. A lady with the owner was afraid he'd jump on me, but he ran up and was mostly a gentleman. Apparently, he recognized me.

As usual, Lady pretty much kept to herself.

Nov. 3: We spent about 90 minutes at the dog park. A woman brought a black dog into the little-dog side; we were in the big-dog side. It sounded like the dog's name is Watson.

Later, a man brought a female chocolate lab into the big-dog side, and the man threw a frisbee for her to chase and catch. I think her name is Bailey.

Lady just looked around, sniffed and did her normal stuff.

Oct. 28-Nov. 2: We missed most days because of rain. We were there one day when Ron, who works for the rec department, was there to paint the fountains. The next day, a man I knew had his dog Murphy there.

And another day, Mrs. Flowers and her dog Tilly were there.

Oct. 26-27: No dog park the last two days because of rain. I did, however, take Lady with me on Monday when I went to the store. I took her out for a walk when we got there, put her back in the car, then walked her again after I brought the groceries out. She seemed to enjoy the trip (fresh smells, pets and compliments).

Too much rain today (Tuesday) even to take her outside for a walk.

Oct. 25: Dog park called on account of football.

Oct. 24: Holly and I took Lady to the dog park today, Saturday. We saw Shasta and Nakiathe stereophonic huskies  and their owners through the fence, but it was quiet when they left. 

Oct. 23: It's quiet here today because Lady is at the groomer's office. I've been checking her water bowl and looking for her under the table. I'm looking forward to her return later today.

(Later) We did go to the dog park. The weather was cool, and there weren't many, if any, people and dogs there.

Oct. 21: Lady and I went to the dog park this afternoon, and we saw only two dogs. A man had a pomeranian on the little-dog side, and a man I knew and his dog Murphy joined us on the big-dog side. He tried hard to get Murphy to chase a ball, but she wanted to fool around on her own.

When Lady lay down in the shade, I got her water and brought her home. She's lying beside me on the floor.

Oct. 20: The main person we saw at the dog park today was a guy who worked for the recreation department. He was driving a golf cart and picking up trash from cans and poop stations.

Oct. 15: We haven't gone to the dog park yet today (I'm waiting for a phone call from someone I need to interview for a newspaper story). We did, however, take a walk around the neighborhood this morning.

We did in fact go to the dog park, but it was closed. Then we went to Horizons Park across the street, and people told me it was closed for work. There was no one there working, so we stayed and walked a bit.

The only way you could tell the park was closed was that the kids' play area was covered with orange nets. There were more than a dozen people playing Frisbee golf, walking (alone or with dogs) or just standing around talking.

No word on when the parks will reopen.

Oct. 6-14: We've gone to the dog park often during this period, often in the afternoon.

Oct. 5: The rain finally ended, and we went to the dog park just after noon today. The only other person was a man on the small-dog side with a 120-pound bulldog/mastiff mix named Jackson. He was a sweet dog.

We stayed on the big-dog side until Lady got tired and laid down. Then we came home.

Why did we go to the big-dog side instead of our usual small-dog side? There was no shade, so it didn't matter which side we were on.

Sept. 30: Lady surprised me a bit today. I looked up from my reverie, and she was running around the small-dog side of the dog park. She probably ran for 20 seconds, but it was great to see. Then she laid down and rested.

Her unofficial 15th birthday (we don't have any idea when she was born) is tomorrow, Oct. 1. We rescued her Oct. 1, 2002 from the Guilford County (N.C.) Animal Shelter. It cost us $37.50 (half-priced; on other days, dogs cost $75).

Sept. 26-29: We haven't been to the dog park lately: rain. It's raining now (12:18 p.m.), and Lady's lying at my left foot (as she often does).

Sept. 22: There was a Sheriff's deputy parked in the dog park lot when we got there are 2 p.m. today. He/she left soon afterward without getting out.

A couple showed up without a dog, and said they just wanted to pet a dog. They came into the small-dog side, and Lady was kind enough to do that. They thanked me when they left.

A man I recognized brought his dog Cain to the big-dog side, and the dog ran over the place, sniffing, peeing and doing whatever. They left just before we did. 

Sept. 6: The dog park was full of dogs when we went about 9:30 this morning. I recognized several people and their dogs, although I don't always remember names.

Bonnie and Chloe were there, as were Randy (I just learned his name) and Scooby. I talked to two guys I know (but don't know their names), and a couple of people I don't know recognized me. Apparently we've talked before.

Bill and Stahl came in as we were leaving after 11.

Aug. 11: The dog park was empty when we got to the dog park at 8 a.m., but the usual suspects soon started coming in. Jim, with Willow, was first, and Jim let me use his can of bug spray (Deep Woods Off) to use on Lady. It's for humans, but it seemed to work.

Scooby, Bear and others soon followed into the big-dog side, and we left at 9:30.

Aug. 8-10: We went to the park every day, but I didn't write any of them down. On Sunday, several of us came in the morning, and a brindled dog humped Lady's head, dominating her. Fortunately, his owner got him out of there.

One of those three days, a lady brought Chase (basset hound/black lab mix), and he was the happiest dog there. That's why I remember him.

Aug. 7: We went to the dog park a little after 8 a.m., and other dog enthusiasts soon showed up. Two young women showed up with their dogs — I recognized one of them — and Jim soon brought Willow.

I recognized several dogs, including Mr. T, Buster and Shasta (a beagle, not one of the stereophonic huskies). Shasta's owner is a good talker, and I enjoyed that chat. A man brought in two little dogs, including a barker, and Lady woofed at the barker. The man wasn't offended; he's trying to socialize those dogs, and Lady probably helped.

Scooby came in just as we were departing at 9:43.

Aug. 5: Lady and I went to the dog park around 7:10 this morning, and we spent about 90 minutes alone. It was cool (70s) and quiet, and Lady spent the time looking, sniffing, peeing, doing her pee dance and lying around.

Good morning, overall, although it would have been nice to have someone to talk to.

Aug. 1: Lady and I went to the dog park this morning. A man brought his dachshund into the small-dog side, then took it across the street to Horizons Park. Then two women came in with dogs. Lady didn't seem to interact with any of them, although she was interested; they weren't.

July 28-31: We didn't go to the dog park on Tuesday (July 28); I had a doctor's appointment in the morning, and it rained in the evening.

We went at least once a day after that.

July 27: We went to the dog park twice again today. I don't remember much about the morning, but we were alone in the evening.

July 26: We went to the dog park twice today.

We went at 8:30, with two people and three dogs already there. I recognized a man and his dog Buster. We went again in the evening and saw a bunch of people I didn't know.

July 22: We haven't been to the dog park much lately because of the heat. We did go this morning, but it wasn't bad.

A boy brought a little white dog into the small-dog side, but they soon joined the big dogs. So Lady watched Bonnie and Bear join the other Bonnie and Chloe with the playful dogs.

Once Lady threw up, it was time to go home.

July 14: It's been more than two weeks since I've written here, and we haven't been to the dog park too often (too hot, mostly).

We didn't go to the dog park this morning because I had to go to the foot doctor. This evening, we went to Covington Park instead.

Lady seemed to have a great time, and she received several compliments. Me, I was miserable because of the heat and the bugs. I was happy to get back in the AC.

June 28: It was nearly noon when we got to the dog park, but I had a secret weapon, a three-legged collapsible chair that I used in the small area of shade.

We were the only ones on the small-dog side, and there weren't a lot of folks on the big-dog side. No surprise.

Lady just wandered around, sniffed a bit and greeted dogs through the fence.

The chair worked well, although I will try a more level spot next time. There was a little bit of wind, and it wasn't uncomfortable at all. Still, when Lady lay down in the shade, it was time to go.

June 27: It was overcast when we went to the dog park in the morning. We shared the park with a woman and her dog, and we went to the big-dog side because there was no crowd.

Soon, however, others quickly began to show up. John and Daisy were there, and I recognized Bear, Scooby and several other dogs.

June 26: We went to the dog park in the evening, and we were almost alone. There was a couple I didn't know with the dog, and Wanda later came in with Spyder. Wanda and I talked while Spyder tried to get Lady to play; no luck.

June 15-25: I've been really slack about writing here. We've gone to the dog park most of the last 11 days.

We went again this morning and were alone on the small-dog side from 8:30 until we left, around 9:40. We saw several of the usual suspects, including Jim and Willow, Bonnie and Chloe, the other Bonnie and Bear, plus dogs and people I recognize but don't know their names.

It was an easy day, and I only saw one incident on the big-dog side, as a dog nearly knocked a woman down. She seemed shaken but not angry.

One day recently,  I met a young shetland sheepdog named Apollo, a blue merle dog who was playful and friendly. Once, he amused everyone by coming over to me and sitting between my feet; he seemed right at home.

June 14, 2015: It was hot when Lady and I made our late start today. We got there before noon and went to the shade on the big-dog side.

We saw Daisy, John and John's son, but they soon left. We were alone on the big-dog side.

The people on the small-dog side soon left, but it was obvious that Lady and I were overheating. So we came home.

June 13, 2015: Holly and I took Lady to the dog park today (Saturday) in the hopes that Holly could meet the French bulldog Sir Francis, but Sir and his owner didn't show.

It wasn't as hot or humid as I expected, and we stayed more than an hour.

We were alone on the little-dog side (in the shade), but we saw John and Daisy (miniature schnauzer) and many other owners and dogs on the big-dog side. We stayed a little over an hour and came home.

June 12, 2015: It was quiet for us today at the dog park. Bonnie brought Chloe over to the small-dog side for a while, but mostly we were alone.

Then she took Chloe to the big-dog side, where Willow, Daisy and other dogs were playing. Bonnie continued to throw a tennis ball to Chloe.

Lady was just lying around, so we came home.

June 11, 2015: Too hot; we stayed home.

June 9-10, 2015: We went to the dog park both days. One of the days, Jim and John brought Willow and Daisy, respectively, over to the little-dog side so they could hang out with Lady. I was appreciative.

Someone who had never been to the dog park came in and sat with me on the small-dog side. She asked what the big field on the other side of the fence was for, and I explained that we were on the small-dog side and that was the big-dog side. She hadn't noticed the sign on the gate saying Small Dogs.

June 8, 2015: We started out on the little-dog side this morning, but we soon moved to the big-dog side along with Molly (not the sheepdog), Willow, Daisy and others. Bonnie and Chloe were entering the park just as we were leaving; we'd already been there two hours.

June 7, 2015: We saw Bonnie and Chloe, as well as Jason and Gizmo (chihuahua?) this morning at the dog park. Bonnie brought Chloe (maybe an Aussie) into the little-dog side, and she and Jason threw a tennis ball to Chloe, over and over and...

We also saw a pekingese and a sweet pekingese/pug mix, and a guy who usually walks around the big-dog side was sitting on a bench. His sweet, black-and-white dog was following him around as usual.

And Sir Francis (French bulldog) and his owner showed up as well.

June 6, 2015: Just as we were going into the dog park at 8 this morning, a woman came sailing into a parking spot right in front of the gate. She had three rambunctious pekingese with her, so we went into the big-dog side and spent our time on the far side, in the shade.

When she left with her dogs, I was tempted to take Lady into the little-dog side, but I decided against it. It was obvious she wanted to go home.

After a quiet day, Lady and I took a walk in the neighborhood after dark.

June 5, 2015: We got to the dog park at a little after noon, and we didn't stay more than an hour.

We saw a golden retriever and a couple of hunting dogs, spaniels. And Sir Francis, the French bulldog, was there again today. And, as he did before, Sir slobbered all over my hand. The spaniels ignored us, but the golden spent a lot of time with me, mostly jumping on me.

I found a little shade under the big tree, but it was a "long" way to the parking lot. Soon after I went back into the park, I grabbed Lady and we went home. She was hot under that fur, and I was hot, too.

June 4, 2015: Chloe, Willow and Lady were present at the dog park this morning, but Lady and I were soon alone on the small-dog side. I decided to take her to the big-dog side, and Sir Francis (a French bulldog puppy) and his owner soon showed up.

Sir spent a lot of time slobbering over my left hand, and then he ran a little. Lady just ignored him for the most part, although she did woof at him once when he tried to get her to play.

We started to leave, but Sir's owner beat us out of the park; I'm a slow walker.

June 3, 2015: It was trying to rain today when we went to the dog park around 10 a.m. 

Many of the usual suspects were there, including Bear and Molly (both sheepdogs), Willow (husky) and Daisy (schnauzer).

Molly spent some time with me, and the normally reserved Willow actually climbed up on the bench and sat beside me.

Everyone left just after 11, and we left soon after them. A woman came in with a big dog that was interested in Lady, but we had to go.

June 1-2, 2015: We went to the dog park both days, but I don't remember anything worth mentioning.

May 31, 2015: There were two people and two dogs at the dog park when we got there this morning. I recognized the woman and her dog Nigel (German shepherd), but I didn't know the man or his dog.

They left at different times, and more people and dogs showed up. I recognized Chloe, Daisy and the sheep dogs, Molly and Bear. A bunch of people and dogs came in the little-dog side, although I didn't know them. Two little girls tried to pet Lady, but she ran away from them, as I expected she would.

We left around 10:20 to get Lady into the AC.


Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)
More blog entries by Tom Gillispie
• Advice for be and would-be novelists

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment