Wednesday, April 6, 2016

BOY WANTING TO PET LADY

LADY WAS EVEN NERVOUS ABOUT ME HUGGING HER

I'm always a little leery
when a child wants to pet Lady; frankly, I think she's a little jittery herself.


You often can see Lady want to back away when a child approaches her, and that happened the other day.

We were walking in the neighborhood, and a boy approached on his bicycle. He asked if he could pet Lady, and I told him that she's a little bashful (technically, that's not true; only with some people). I also told him that Lady is afraid of bicycles (true).


He got off his bike and came up to her gently. He squatted and petted her with both hands, but he didn't hug her. (She doesn't like to be hugged; it's not natural to her, since dogs can't hug each other. Some dogs handle it well, but she doesn't.)

It worked out well. The kid finished, thanked me, got on his bike and rode off.

We continued our walk. And I was relieved.

I bet she was, too.

NOTE: Lady passed on Sept. 17, 2016.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK.

More entries from The Dog Blog

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment