Friday, August 18, 2017

11 months without Lady

LADY, STILL AT HER BEST
Yesterday marked 11 months exactly since Lady's passing on Sept. 17, 2016. And we've had Dixie 10 days short of that.

It's amazed me how quickly time has gone, but it shouldn't. Every year, it seems to go a little faster.

Lady remains in my thoughts, of course. But I can talk about her without my voice cracking, and I can look at photos of her with joy, not pain.

We had nearly 14 good years (two weeks short), with lots of laughs, a few tears and some shouting.

Lady got sweeter as the years passed, and she became less independent and more lovey. Dixie's not what I would call a lovey girl; she likes to be petted (or get fed), but Lady would sometimes come over to me just to be companionable. Dixie doesn't do that.

One other thing: I'd give Lady a toy, and she'd go away and play with it for hours. Sometimes she'd come back to me and give me her toy. I'd thank her, look at it carefully, then give it back to her.

She'd take it in her jaws and trot off happy, still playing with it. Dixie doesn't play with toys (or chew chewies, for that matter).

They're just different dogs. I love them both, but I had Lady more than 14 times longer (so far). She still haunts me.


Blog entries by Tom Gillispie
• Advice for be and would-be novelists

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie


EDITOR@WORK blog entries

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

Post a Comment