Friday, August 11, 2017

Calm under pressure

DIXIE AND ME GETTING CLOSE
I don't know if this is good or bad, but Dixie has one big advantage over our former mutt Lady.

When kids would run toward Lady, she'd back away from them. She probably felt like she was being attacked. I remember a boy trying to pet Lady at the dog park; she trotted away from him, and he ran after her; she'd look back to see if he was still coming (if he was, she'd speed up).

Our current dog, Dixie, is more calm when under siege. She just sits there waiting while kids run toward her to pet her. While Lady wasn't deliriously happy about being petted, Dixie craves the attention.

Is it good to just sit there when someone is running at you? Probably not. Still, it works. The kids get to pet her, and she gets to be petted.

Katie sometimes ran across the road so the kids over there could pet her; I never saw anyone try to pet Scottie (like Katie, a collie); and no one could pet Buddy (other than me, or Holly).

P.S.: I just looked through the photos on this blog (it just took seconds) and noticed that I don't have one photo of Lady being petted. I don't have any of Dixie yet, either; but I will get some.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK.
Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)
More blog entries by Tom Gillispie
• Advice for be and would-be novelists

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment