Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pulling like a sled dog

HERE'S A SHOT OF LADY ON A LEASH (TAKEN
DURING ONE OF HER LONG-HAIR PERIODS).

My dog Lady looks like a sled dog, and she's always liked to pull like one.

She's gotten a little slower and weaker as her age (13 next month) is catching up with her. But she still loves to pull.


I often get her to "help" me pull the trash barrel to the curb. I'll grab her leash in my left hand and hold the barrel handle with the same hand. Sometimes she'll lose concentration and wander off to the side; then I'll have to get her on-track again.


Sometimes, she's no help at all. Other times, she'll pull mightily.

One time in the last year, I had a full and heavy barrel, and it was beginning to slide back to an upright position. Lady looked back, then turned to the front and suddenly surged forward. Without her help, I would have had to start again.


The year we got her (2002), she was a 33-pound youngster. We were walking up our inclined front yard in the snow, and I was struggling. She pulled so mightily that it felt like there was a little tractor in front of me.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK

BLOG ENTRIES FROM THE AUTO RACING JOURNAL
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

Post a Comment