Saturday, June 18, 2016

Back at the dog park

It's July 30, and Lady and I went to the dog park for the first time in a month or more. It's been too hot for us, and neither of us is getting around that well. I use two canes much of the time, and Lady's getting old. She has trouble getting in the car.

Today, I decided to take her to Covington Park before 8:30 in the morning. I quickly realized it was already too hot for walking, so I took her to the dog park, about eight miles away. We'd have shade on the small-dog side, and it would be OK. And it was.

I met a former veterinarian named Ivey (I assume that's the way he spells it), and we talked awhile. I saw several dogs we know, although they were all on the big-dog side.

We stayed a little over an hour; when Ivey and his group left, we did too.

Lady and I returned to the dog park today; it was our first time there in at least a month (Lady had gotten hurt the last two times we had visited there).

We saw several dogs and people we knew, including Chase, Daisy and Grace, plus their humans.

Lady was her usual gracious self and mixed among the humans there. I was friendly enough, but I had to lean up against the fence. After all, I use two canes at a time.
 
There were several active dogs there today, and I was afraid the dogs would run into me or knock me down. So I finally took Lady to the small-dog side after a couple left with their tiny dogs.


Lady wandered around a bit and then laid down. I got her some water, and after more than an hour there, we left.

Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)




More blog entries by Tom Gillispie
• Advice for be and would-be novelists

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment