Saturday, September 24, 2016

Without my Lady

It's been a rough week without my Lady.

She passed last Saturday (Sept. 17), and I've walked around like a lost man. I've gone to Covington Park alone, and I've thought of Lady every place we used to go together.

The worst time comes when my wife's at work. I write or read or watch TV. I look where Lady's water bowl used to be. I want to fill it, but there's no point.

Her favorite toy is still on the hall floor, and three dog biscuits are still on the office desk.

When I drive out of the driveway, I automatically look in the cage to see if Lady's there (she could go through a dog door and and be outside in the cage).

I drive to a store and am reminded that she rode with me there, or I'll go by the cemetery and think of our walks around the lake there. 

The worst thing of all came this morning when I went to the vet's office and picked up the wooden box with her ashes.

We'll get another dog, but she was a hard act to follow.

NOTE: Lady passed on Sept. 17, 2016; that was just two weeks short of her unofficial 16th birthday. We got her Oct. 1, 2002.

NOTE 2: We got Dixie on Sept. 27, just 10 days after Lady's passing. Holly thought it was too soon, but it's worked out OK.
Blog entries by Tom Gillispie
• Advice for be and would-be novelists

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie


EDITOR@WORK blog entries

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

Post a Comment