Saturday, November 9, 2013

Out and about

LADY WASN'T TRYING TO GET INTO THE HOUSE
YESTERDAY, AS SHE WAS IN THIS OLD PHOTO.
When we're in the front yard, my wife Holly likes to let Lady's leash go and watch Lady "walk herself" to me. I'll grab her leash, and off we'll go.

It didn't work yesterday, and off we went on a merry chase. Lady went through one neighbor's yard into another's, so I jumped into the van and went around to head her off. I met my neighbor, Steve Stone, who told me that Lady was, at that point, heading back toward my house.

So I drove back toward home and saw Steve "chasing" Lady through my first neighbor's yard. When he'd speed up, she'd do the same, and he couldn't catch her.

But she saw the van. I stopped at the end of our driveway, and Lady came right to me. Steve left before I could thank him.

I piled Lady in the van, told my wife we were going and headed to the dog park.

I was greatly relieved, I might add. If she'd kept going through yards, she'd have wound up at the main road.

Here's something funny: When Lady began her little adventure, she didn't even see the gray-and-white cat under my Toyota in the carport. Lady took off toward the neighbor's yard, and the cat raced past me.

Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

 
More entries from The Dog Blog

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment