Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Ajax to the rescue

I DON'T HAVE A PICTURE OF AJAX, BUT THIS IS
THE KIND OF SCRUM THAT GOT ME IN TROUBLE.
LADY IS THE MOSTLY WHITE DOG AT TOP RIGHT.
There used to be a sweet, 200-pound mastiff at the dog park named Ajax, and sometimes he'd run into a dog or person and knock them down. Or the opposite.

One day, a group of dogs came racing through where I was standing. They ran into me, and I was falling down. I stumbled back into Ajax, and we both staggered a second ... and we both walked off.

Thanks, Ajax.

By the way, the couple kept telling me that Ajax was 184 pounds. I told them he was closer to 200. Then one day, the husband said he'd been weighed at 202. Too many doggie cookies, I guess.

It's been several years, and mastiffs don't live that long. I miss him and his owners, who told me that Ajax was an apartment dog. He must have been rough on the furniture.

EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK


Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment