Sunday, May 1, 2016

No dog? Perish the thought

THIS PHOTO IS 10 OR 15 YEARS OLD,
 BUT LADY KNEW CUTE UNTIL THE END.
Before we rescued Lady in 2002, I was pondering alternatives to dog ownership. I figured it was so expensive to own a dog that we might be better off just fostering dogs or even going to the Humane Society to pet and walk dogs.

Then, my wife Holly found Lady online. She was at the Guilford County Animal Shelter, and they were calling her Lassie (they thought she was a collie mix).

Immediately, I wanted her. Her looks and personality were too attractive. The animal shelter was having a half-off sale the day we adopted her, and she cost $37.50. And she'd have been worth it at twice the price.

Now, more than 13 and a half years later, and it's obvious that life wouldn't be the same without a dog (specifically, Lady). She's lying near my left foot as I write this, and I can't imagine her anywhere else.

When she passes on, we'll get another dog. It won't be the same, but we'll make do. And we'll love it, too.

NOTE: Lady's still in relatively good health, but she IS 15 and a half years old. As much as I want her to, she can't live forever.

NOTE: Lady passed on Sept. 17, 2016. We found a new dog, a beagle we call Dixie (or Doodle, from Dixie Doodle).


EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK





Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal


(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)
More blog entries by Tom Gillispie
• Advice for be and would-be novelists

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment