Monday, November 7, 2016

Questions about Dixie

SHE WAS LACY THEN;
NOW, SHE'S DIXIE.
I was a little surprised yesterday when a woman at Covington Park asked me about Dixie's breed. Rather than giving her some kind of smart remark, I just said that she looked like a beagle to me.

The woman said that her family had a beagle-mix, so she just wondered. She also asserted that Dixie looked like a beagle-mix.

I had assumed that no one would ever ask what she is; she's obviously a beagle. It occurs to me that the woman may have seen a fat dog and concluded that Dixie is a mix of beagle and pug. No; she just eats too much.

Most people ask about Dixie's missing leg; you can see her stump in the photo at left. Her leg was gone when the folks at the Forsyth Humane Society got her.

Some people say that it was nice of us to take a three-legged dog. I'm sure some folks would have passed her by, but it never occurred to me not to take her. So I can't take credit for that decision; she was just the dog that appealed to me.

NOTE: If you're wondering, the Humane Society was calling her Lacy. We couldn't keep that because our former dog was Lady. Lacy sounds too much like Lady; in fact, before we changed Lacy to Dixie, I called her Lady. So Dixie works.



EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK
Blog entries by Tom Gillispie
• Advice for be and would-be novelists

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie


EDITOR@WORK blog entries

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

Post a Comment