Thursday, November 3, 2016

Coming when she's called

SHE WAS LACY THEN; NOW, SHE'S DIXIE.
My wife Holly and I had a ton of problems keeping our late dog Lady in the yard, especially just after we got her. She got loose more than 20 times over the nearly 14 years we had her.

So we were afraid that Dixie, our new beagle, might get distracted and not come back when we called.

That was put to the test the other night when Holly was about to put Dixie on her line so she could "do her business." Dixie charged right past Holly before she could attach the line. Startled and worried, Holly hollered "Come here, Dixie!"

Within seconds, Dixie had charged back into the house. Relieved, Holly hooked her to her line, and Dixie went back outside.

Me, I wasn't as worried. When we have gone to the dog park, Dixie has mostly stayed close to me. And she's come when I've called, at home and at the dog park. I figured she'd come back, and she did.

But I'm not going to tempt fate too often. I'll keep her leash on her when we're outside, unless we're in an enclosed fence. Just want to be sure.
Blog entries by Tom Gillispie
• Advice for be and would-be novelists

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie


EDITOR@WORK blog entries

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

Post a Comment