Friday, July 15, 2016

A fine mess you've gotten yourself into

SORRY, NO TANGLED-UP SHOTS.
No dog is better at getting tangled up than Lady; they can't be.

Shortly after we got Lady in late 2002, my wife Holly bought a long line so Lady could be put outside. I hooked her to a tree, and when I returned Lady was wrapped around the tree. She'd gone around and around and was so tangled up that I had to spend a few minutes freeing her.

Often, she'll wrap herself around the horseshoe pole, then go around the nearby butterfly bush and get herself in a fine mess.

Today, I went out to get her. When I called her, she got within 15 feet and stopped; it sounded like she was dragging something, so I went out to investigate. She'd wrapped her line around all four legs of a lawn chair and was pulling it along.

I went over to get her. When she was freed, she made a beeline to the kitchen door. No entanglements there.

NOTE: Lady passed on Sept. 17, 2016; that was just two weeks short of her unofficial 16th birthday. We got her Oct. 1, 2002.

Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)
More blog entries by Tom Gillispie
• Advice for be and would-be novelists

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments:

Post a Comment