Thursday, July 14, 2016

Walking the dog safely

THIS IS THE LONG-HAIRED VERSION OF LADY.

I naturally learned a lot about walking a dog from my dog Lady. We had a really long leash, and, for some reason, I gave her a lot of leash. It was literally dragging the ground, with her in front.

Suddenly, she saw a cat or squirrel and exploded forward! I was caught unawares, and the violent motion suddenly caused a terrible pain in my right shoulder. My stomach felt queasy, and I realized she'd dislocated my shoulder.

It popped back in place, but it's hurt ever since.

What did I learn from this incident and others? Don't use a 12-foot leash; find something shorter. And don't allow her any running room.

Since then, I hold the leash in my left hand and keep it taut. When she tenses up (indicating something worth chasing), I either pull the leash back toward me or over to the side, depending on where she wants to go. Pulling the leash back or to the side deflects her momentum. She founders in front or beside me.

I wish I'd known these things when I first got Lady, but I learned them. They're not as much use now, because of her age (nearing 16). Still, she can pull mightily when she wants to, so I still use my tricks.

They protect my shoulder and other body parts. And they protect Lady as well.

NOTE: Lady passed on Sept. 17, 2016; that was just two weeks short of her unofficial 16th birthday. We got her Oct. 1, 2002.

ON YOUTUBE

5 Ways to Keep Safe on Walks With Situational Awareness - Walking a Dog 


B
• Advice for be and would-be novelists

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie


EDITOR@WORK blog entries

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

Post a Comment