Monday, October 17, 2016

Dixie's growing a bit

DIXIE AND I ARE DEVELOPING A RAPPORT.
I HAVE GAINED a lot of respect for Dixie the last couple of days. I had thought that Dixie was just afraid when she snarled at other dogs when they came into "her" territory.

And maybe she was. But there was something else.

Yesterday at the dog park, a black dog, probably around 40 pounds, jumped up on me and tried to get petted. Suddenly, Dixie charged out from under the bench and snarled at the offender. As it trotted off, I realized that Dixie wasn't afraid.

She was trying to defend me.

Today, she did it again as a big German shepherd tried to play with her. Again, she didn't appear afraid; she was just chased him out of "her" territory.

Fortunately, the big dog's owner wasn't offended; she realized that Dixie was just defending me ... and perhaps herself.

I noticed that Dixie actually left my side for awhile today, even with the offending German shepherd there. That's a good sign. She's developing a little confidence.

NOTE: There appeared to be two small dogs alone on the small-dog side today. Finally, a woman on a cell phone came out from under a tree into the light.
Blog entries by Tom Gillispie
• Advice for be and would-be novelists

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie


EDITOR@WORK blog entries

Blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

No comments:

Post a Comment